: the words that are used with a certain word or phrase and that help to explain its meaning
Full Definition of CONTEXT
Examples of CONTEXT
- We need to look at the event within the larger context of world history.
- The book puts these events in their proper historical and social contexts.
- We need to consider these events in context.
- … it was Dickens who first used the word ‘detective’ in a literary context … —John Mullan, How Novels Work, 2006
- Entrepreneurship and civil freedoms depend on a context of civil order, predictability, and individual security. —Susan L. Woodward, Balkan Tragedy, 1995
- … the old building, its original acre, inside its high outer wall, was immune to change, out of context and out of time. —Harriet Doerr, The Tiger in the Grass, 1995
Origin of CONTEXT
Middle English, weaving together of words, from Latin contextus connection of words, coherence, from contexere to weave together, from com- + texere to weave — more at technical