: the quality of being honest and fair
Full Definition of INTEGRITY
2 : an unimpaired condition : soundness
3 : the quality or state of being complete or undivided : completeness
Examples of INTEGRITY
- He’s a man of the highest integrity.
- I admire her artistic integrity.
- She had the integrity to refuse to compromise on matters of principle.
- Without music, the film loses its integrity.
- They are trying to preserve the cultural integrity of the community.
- The earthquake may have damaged the building’s structural integrity.
- Many were tempted by a piece of the equity action and compromised their integrity. —Bruce Nussbaum, Business Week, 28 Jan. 2002
Origin of INTEGRITY
Middle English integrite, from Middle French & Latin; Middle French integrité, from Latin integritat-, integritas, from integr-, integer entire
First Known Use: 14th century
noun \in-ˈteg-rət-ē\ (Medical Dictionary)
Medical Definition of INTEGRITY
: an unimpaired condition <personality function depends greatly upon the integrity of brain function—Diagnostic & Statistical Manual>