: extremely good
Full Definition of TERRIFIC
1a : very bad : frightful
b : exciting or fit to excite fear or awe <a terrific thunderstorm>
2: extraordinary <terrific speed>
3: unusually fine : magnificent <terrific weather>
— ter·rif·i·cal·ly adverb
Examples of TERRIFIC
- She’s given me some terrific ideas.
- Your test scores were terrific.
- They did a terrific job painting the house.
- I had a terrific time.
- I’ve recovered completely. In fact, I feel terrific.
- We were hit by a terrific snowstorm last week.
Origin of TERRIFIC
Latin terrificus, from terrēre to frighten
First Known Use: 1667