adjective \kən-ˈjē-nē-əl, –ˈjēn-yəl\
: suitable or appropriate
: pleasant and enjoyable
Full Definition of CONGENIAL
a : existing or associated together harmoniously
b : pleasant; especially : agreeably suited to one’s nature, tastes, or outlook <a congenial atmosphere>
Examples of CONGENIAL
- The town is a congenial place for raising children.
- We studied in the congenial atmosphere of the library.
- He found the work to be congenial.
- She was congenial and easygoing.
- She moved on, leaving behind the world of politics for the more congenial sphere of the arts. —Amy Fine Collins, Vanity Fair, March 2001
Origin of CONGENIAL
com- + genius
Related to CONGENIAL
- agreeable, blessed (also blest), pleasant, darling, delectable, delicious, delightful, delightsome, dreamy, dulcet, enjoyable, felicitous, good, grateful, gratifying, heavenly, jolly, luscious, nice, palatable, pleasing, pleasurable, pretty, satisfying, savory (also savoury), sweet, tasty, welcome